Monday, 14 May 2007
I went to Sembawang beach this morning for beach cleaning. This event was not organised by the school, rather, it was organised by a mosque, I think. Ok ok. I'm not sure myself. The point is that it's not organised by the school so I volunteered myself not for the CIP (Community Involvement Programme) hours. Do I make myself clear? Ok. Now that we've got that settled, I'll just move on.
Beach cleaning was FUN!!! I remembered the last time I went beach cleaning...
*flashback...*
Ok, I'm not going to drift off. Anyway, my mum, my sis & I arrived at Sembawang beach at 8.15am. The funny thing wass that we actually thought we were late. As it turned out, we were early. Like wayyy early. It started at 9am. So for the 45 min of waiting, my sis & I played at the swings in the park. Childish, right? But it was cool, nonetheless.
There were a lot of litter, as expected. I could see a lot of tents and people around the beach so you do the math. I picked up bits and pieces of styrofoam. That might sound simple but trust me, there were
tons of styrofoam. I don't think I want to see any for quite some time. We found other things like cigarette lighters, cigarette packages and the cigarettes themselves! And of course, we also found a lot of plastic bags, plastic stuff and more pieces of litter that I'm unable to categorise.
I couldn't believe how dirty the beach was. No, actually I can believe it, but you know what I mean. Imagine all of the litter will eventually wind up in the sea, increasing the level of pollution. As if global warming wasn't enough. Did you know that dolphins and turtles get trapped in plastic bags and tangled in fishing lines?
Ah yes, I remebered why beach cleaning was so fun. After, a few hours, we decided to wrap it up. Not literally, of course. We tied up our bags and put them where the other bags other people collected and we, with the other people as a group, took a photograph. Ok... That's too many ands.
The reason why beach cleaning is so fun it's because you get that sense of accomplishment and importance when you see how much trash you've picked up. Like the feeling you get after you've cleaned up your room or won first place in a race. It's a wonderful feeling.
Yup, I've definitely made a difference today. The world seems so much brighter after cleaning the environment. Reminds me why I pick up litter whenever I see one in Malay class. For that reason and it was also because I was bored. You might think I'm paranoid but sooner or later, the litter will end up in the sea. It seems like as if everything will eventually wind up there.
So, why don't you do something to help the environment? Since we're always complaining about how bored we are during the holidays, why don't we do something that is actually worthwhile and fulfilling?
And the best part is that you don't even have to do anything big to make a difference. You can just spend 5 minutes a day to take a plastic bag and pick up all the litter at the nearest park or even at your own house. If the whole world were to do that, I'm sure Earth would be a much cleaner and greener place. Think about it. It's as simple as that.
You made a difference in 5 minutes and everyone will benefit from it. If they don't appreciate it, don't worry. I will. And so will the dolphines and turtles. ^^
-crickets-
Things to do:
- Bring parents' acknoledgement slips for OLE 2 & PTM and a rag to school tomorrow.
- Bring $20 for class t-shirt (Remind me again why I'm spending my money on this?) and $1 for class fund.
- Find a day to shop with Shafiqah tomorrow and find a birthday present.
- Find an art work to put on display in the classroom. (What a chore...)
Things not to do:
- Cry when I get my results for MYE no matter how bad they are. =((
- Show a sad face when I get my results.
- Or cry.
Labels: beach cleaning, environment
-strips of memory
7:31 am