Saturday, 21 April 2007
Comfort can really be a funny thing. It's different for everyone. Everyone needs it but for some, they think they don't when they actually do. For some people, it just comes naturally to them. They just know how to do it. Just like that. However, I'm not one of those people. Don't ask me why but I think my E.Q. is low. Even my father once told me that. My experiences of bringing comfort to people was not good. From my experiences (being the person giving the comfort and the person needing one), this is what I've learnt:
When comforting someone, do not laugh in front of them. Unless you have those kind of contagious laugh (which I don't).
It's ok to make jokes to make them laugh, but just make sure that your joke is really funny. Or that that person will laugh at anything you tell him/her.
Try to give inspirational quotes. At least, that's what I think. It helps if you've read a lot of books or those posters that have large words like "SUCCESS" printed on them in the classroom.
Pat them gently on the hand or the back. I don't know how people do it but some just seem to have the soothing touch. (NOTE: If the person shoves you off, let it be. Just don't do it again.)
Prepare tissue. As in lots and lots of tissue. So it's best if you bring a packet (or double, just in case) of tissue with you all the time. You'll never know when someone might need one.
*results may vary. I am not responsible if any of these 'tips' destroy your relationship with that person or made the situation worse.
I think that's mostly about it. These are so-called "tips" which I've thought of. However, the most valuable, 100% success tip of them all is this:
Just offer them a listening ear.
In other words, keep quiet and let them talk. The reason why they're crying is so that they can express themselves, right? So just tell them to let it all out. It'll make them feel better. Trust me. But of course if the person doesn't want to talk about it, be patient. The person will let you know when he/she is ready. =)
-crickets-
comfort: 1. [U] a feeling of being calm or hopeful after having being worried or sad.
2. [v] to make someone feel happier or less worried by being kind to them.
Labels: comfort
-strips of memory
7:13 am